MycoTechnology helps the food industry create healthier products without excessive sugar, salt, and fat by working with the natural transformative power of mushrooms to make new-to-the-world food ingredients. Their flagship product, ClearIQ™, is the world's first organic bitter blocker and flavor clarifier that helps cleanup the taste of functional ingredients and is a powerful tool in the fight against sugar and sodium. FermentIQ™ protein filled the void in the plant-based protein market, creating a complete plant protein with improved nutrition and functionality.
The Scientist in Bioinformatics is responsible for the overall management and analysis of multi-omic data generated by the R&D organization unit and execution of MycoTechnology’s Research and Development initiatives in bio/ chemo-analytical, informatics and computational sciences, including DNA and RNAseq, metabolomics, automation data and algorithmic analyses. The Scientist is expected to provide strategic input on new capabilities, people management and business strategy. The position is responsible for “best in class” data management and computational/informatics organization with the goal of accelerating detailed knowledge in unlocking the metabolic potential of mushrooms, from complex biological and chemical data.
- Analysis and interpretation of NGS data from a variety of fungal organisms
- Directs and designs experiments to analyze a variety of complex biological samples and provides clear, interpretive information on data analysis of compounds and assays
- Build and maintain current state database structure and tracking foundation and deliver the R&D knowledge management solution
- Work across multiple subject matter experts to drive new data initiatives, automation of reports, establish best practices and mentor junior members in the team
- Work with the broader Data team to find ways to scale our insights through better systems and automation
- Initiate, develop and maintain data pipelines and data models that powers dashboards and data products
- Adhere to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data and provide succinct reports
- Keep up to date with health and safety issues and drive a culture for a safe working environment
- Facilitate decision making and display technical competence in the planning and completion of assigned projects
- Demonstrate tactical thinking skills to drive projects and challenge conventional wisdom
- A Master’s or PhD degree in computer science, statistics, molecular biology, bioinformatics or related field
- 2 + years of hands-on data science experience
- Strong knowledge of genomics, sequencing applications, and methods that apply to Bioinformatics and Illumina technology. Broad interest and knowledge in molecular biology and Genomics
- Experience in a variety of informatics software suites, programming languages (R, Python, MATLAB, bash), data analytics tools (SQL), Unix environments and command line use
- Experience developing next generation sequencing data analysis methods and computational pipelines for DNA and/or RNA sequence
- Strong communication skills and ability to describe complex analyses to audiences with diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of fermentation biology, mushroom physiology, and natural ingredients
- Understand Innovation Processes and gated project management
- Experience with the Illumina Connected Analytics cloud platform
- Direct integration of Illumina instruments with dynamic secondary analysis options, including DRAGEN™ pipelines and custom tools
- This position requires no supervisory responsibilities
- Work Environment:
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Incorporated in 2013, Aurora, Colorado based MycoTechnology, Inc. is a food technology company that harnesses the metabolic engine of mushrooms, known as mycelium, to create novel ingredients that solve the food industry’s biggest challenges. Our innovative ingredients and transformative technology offer solutions for sugar reduction, food insecurity, sustainable protein, natural immune support, and much more. For more information, please visit www.mycoiq.com.