MycoTechnology helps the food industry create healthier products without excessive sugar, salt, and fat by working with the natural transformative power of mushrooms to make new-to-the-world food ingredients. Their flagship product, ClearIQ™, is the world's first organic bitter blocker and flavor clarifier that helps cleanup the taste of functional ingredients and is a powerful tool in the fight against sugar and sodium. FermentIQ™ protein filled the void in the plant-based protein market, creating a complete plant protein with improved nutrition and functionality.
As the expert in sensory science, the Sensory Scientist partners with all departments across the company to develop new products, define and implement product improvements, and contribute to product concept refinement. The Sensory Scientist will design the research plan, determine appropriate sensory and consumer research methodologies, coordinate tests, analyze and interpret experimental data, and provide technical recommendations, reporting results orally and in written documentation in a timely manner. He/she works with the technical community, business team, customers, and suppliers to design and conduct appropriate research to build learning and advance knowledge of the company’s products.
- Independently design and execute experimental protocols with the goal of delivering sensorial differentiation for our ingredient line. This may include a variety of project types, including (but not limited to):
* New sweeteners or flavor modulators
*New plant-based protein alternatives
*Quantitative and qualitative testing and their evaluation
- As key support for current and new ingredient launches, this individual will contribute:
*A thorough understanding of scientific methods, research protocols, assessment instruments, and data analysis and interpretation.
*The evaluation and acquisition of new techniques and equipment that improve the capabilities of the lab and expand the possibilities for commercial opportunities.
*Careful recording of experimental observations in a sufficient manner to protect MycoTechnology’s intellectual property rights.
*Preparation of detailed high-quality, robust, compliant data and reports describing research efforts, and when appropriate, presentation of research results to scientific conferences, customers, MycoTechnology’s staff and/or other groups.
*The transition of promising research work into the application and process development groups for commercial development.
- Maintain a broad knowledge of industry best practices with respect to sensory methodologies, state-of-the-art technology, equipment, delivery systems, raw materials, and flavor processes.
- Identify and build relationships with key internal and external experts to facilitate delivery of projects to required standards.
- To collaborate with internal teams in improving the quality and execution of existing ingredients and establishing Quality Assurance mechanisms to be followed to assure the integrity of our products.
- Actively participate in project team meetings and provide feedback as needed, assist in reporting findings and communicating next steps in projects to team members.
- Have a clear understanding of statistics and statistical analysis. Be able to execute and interpret statistical data from sensory evaluation testing and report findings in a clear and concise format.
- Monitoring the competition and market to understand how a new product performs against its competitors as well as how products in the market perform and why.
- Understand and evaluate consumer perception and/or sensory characteristics that drive preference.
- Establish industry reputation to influence customers buying behavior regarding our products by demonstrating that the company has a significant understanding of our product’s profile and consumers.
- Bachelor of Science or relevant degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or related area from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree in Sensory Science preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in industry, in a similar position with proven scientific expertise in sensory science including knowledge of discrimination, descriptive and consumer test methods
- Deep understanding of flavor chemistry and sensorial evaluation.
- Experience in designing and developing sensorial tests to prove/disprove hypotheses.
- Ability to utilize statistic programs to analyze and interpret data, communicate, and provide recommendations as needed.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Able to work in a team and adapt to a dynamic work environment including changing priorities and quick turnaround projects.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to present ideas in an understandable, non-technical manner to internal and external constituencies.
- Excellent record-keeping skills.
- Work Environment:
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Physical Demands:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Incorporated in 2013, Aurora, Colorado based MycoTechnology, Inc. is a food technology company that harnesses the metabolic engine of mushrooms, known as mycelium, to create novel ingredients that solve the food industry’s biggest challenges. Our innovative ingredients and transformative technology offer solutions for sugar reduction, food insecurity, sustainable protein, natural immune support, and much more. For more information, please visit www.mycoiq.com.