MycoTechnology helps the food industry create healthier products without excessive sugar, salt, and fat by working with the natural transformative power of mushrooms to make new-to-the-world food ingredients. Their flagship product, ClearIQ™, is the world's first organic bitter blocker and flavor clarifier that helps cleanup the taste of functional ingredients and is a powerful tool in the fight against sugar and sodium. FermentIQ™ protein filled the void in the plant-based protein market, creating a complete plant protein with improved nutrition and functionality.
The Associate Scientist works with the Sensory Team to create sensory tests and maintain sensory operations, including development and implementation of sensory testing. Supports collaboration with R&D, Commercial, and Operations to develop new products, define and implement product improvements, and contribute to product concept refinement. He/she works with the technical community, business team, customers, and suppliers to design and conduct appropriate sensory research to build learning and advance knowledge of the company’s products. Associate Scientist implements appropriate sensory and consumer research methodologies, determines logistical needs, coordinates tests, and gathers experimental data to present as business need requires.
Assists in designing and executing protocols with the goal of delivering sensorial differentiation for our ingredient line.
- Collaborates with internal teams in improving the quality and execution of existing ingredients and establishing Quality Assurance mechanisms to be followed to assure the integrity of our products.
- Supports all functions within the organization to develop new products, define and implement product improvements, and contribute to product concept refinement.
- Manages sensory booth operations, scheduling, and coordination.
- Assists in managing internal sensory lab and panel including recruiting and training of panelists.
- Writes standard operating procedures, organizes data, and documents test results with clear and concise notes.
- Actively participates in project team meetings and ensures delivery of commitments and project milestones.
- Performs sample preparation and chemistry calculations for making solutions (i.e., molarity calculations, dilutions).
- Tastes and evaluates samples daily.
- Recommends and performs appropriate sensory test methods to meet test objectives.
- Analyzes, interprets, and makes conclusions of sensory experiments.
- Competency in statistical analysis, use of statistical software and presentation of valid statistical data.
- Prepares detailed sensory reports and presents research results to colleagues, customers, and/or other groups.
- Maintains a clean, sanitary, organized, and safe workplace.
- Serves as a point for contact for sensory test related issues and complaints.
- Takes full accountability for own performance.
- Open and receptive to coaching and actively looks to develop their effectiveness.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; bend; climb; squat; use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
$60,000 - $75,000
- Bachelor of Science or relevant degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry or related area from an accredited college or university. Master’s degree in Sensory Science preferred.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in industry, in a similar position with proven scientific expertise in sensory science including knowledge of discrimination, descriptive, and consumer test methods.
- Proficient in Microsoft office.
- Clear understanding of chemistry and biology preferably in flavor chemistry and sensory evaluation.
- Proficient using math daily for formulations.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills to present ideas, tests, and results in a clear and impactful manner to internal and external parties.
- Ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and multitask.
- Ability to distinguish tastes and have a discriminatory palate.
- Ability to learn, implement, and manage new technical tools and programs.
- Excellent record-keeping skills.
- Able to work in a team and adapt to a dynamic work environment including changing priorities and quick turnaround projects.